The high gas price or the shortage may not be stopping some from still traveling during the Memorial Day holiday.
According to AAA, 1.1 million North Carolinians are expected to travel during the holiday weekend. That’s about a 61% increase from last year, when fewer than residents traveled, due to the pandemic.
Gas prices are trending $1 higher than last year when residents were under the statewide stay-at-home order. However, the country has mostly opened back up and even with the average gas price at $2.93 in North Carolina people are forecast to travel.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
“Many Carolinians are so eager to travel, we don’t expect higher gas prices to interfere with their plans,” said Tiffany Wright, spokesperson, AAA – The Auto Club Group in the Carolinas. “We typically find when pump prices increase, travelers look for more free activities or eat out less while on vacation, but still take their planned trips.”
Gas prices were expected to be around $3 per gallon leading up to Memorial Day weekend, AAA says but last week’s shutdown of the Colonial Pipeline caused prices to spike weeks ahead of the holiday.
|North Carolina Memorial Day Travel Volumes|
|2021||1.1 million||1 million||76,961||3,352|
|2019||1.2 million||1.1 million||99,697||31,706|
“A year’s worth of pent-up demand is being unleashed this summer, as Americans anticipate the kick off to the season,” said Debbie Haas, Vice President of Travel for AAA – The Auto Club Group. “Travel bookings with AAA – The Auto Club Group have surged recently, setting the stage for what should be a busy holiday weekend and an exciting summer.”
AAA reports the top road trip destinations North Carolinians plan to travel to include Las Vegas, NV, Orlando, FL, Myrtle Beach, Denver, CO and Nashville, TN.
- Venus Williams Is A High-Fashion Goddess On The Cover Of ‘Glamour’ Magazine
- Don Imus Sidekick Bernard McGuirk, Who Called Black Women Athletes ‘Hard-Core Hos,’ Dies At 64
- Chloe Bailey Sizzles In Paris Wearing A Clueless-Like Miu Miu Ensemble
- Color of Fashion Continues To Elevate Denver’s Fashion Industry Through Diversity And Inclusion
- Lizzo Says This Is The Healthiest Tour She’s Been On, And It’s Because She’s Prioritizing Self-Care
- Keisha Lance Bottoms Explains What President Biden’s Simple Federal Marijuana Possession Pardon’s Mean
- Black Immigration Group Calls Out Biden Administration After Court Rules DACA Is Illegal
- Believe The Hype: How Kanye West’s “White Lives Matter” Shirt Is Problematic To The Culture!
- After Marijuana Pardons, Black Leaders Urge Congress, Governors To Follow Biden’s Lead
- DJ Holiday & Lore’l Talk Best Moments From The 2022 BET Hip Hop Awards