Charlotte Hornets guard LaMelo Ball was named the 2020-21 NBA Rookie of the Year, the league announced Wednesday.
Ball became a front-runner late in the season and is the third player in franchise history to take home the hardware. The standout scorer joins Emeka Okafor (2005) and Larry Johnson (1993) as the only Charlotte players to cap off their inaugural season with Rookie of the Year honors.
He edged out Minnesota Timberwolves guard Anthony Edwards and Sacramento Kings guard Tyrese Haliburton for the award. The three players earned the most votes from a global panel of sportswriters and broadcasters last month to be named finalists, according to the NBA.
Ball averaged 15.7 points, 6.1 assists, 5.9 rebounds in 51 games to lead the Hornets into the NBA’s play-in tournament. Despite dealing with a hand injury and missing 21 games he finished second in scoring among all rookies during the regular season.
The son of outspoken critic LaVar Ball was taken third overall by the Hornets in the 2020 NBA Draft. After coming to Charlotte, LaMelo embraced his role with the team and was eventually named a starter early in the season by coach James Borrego.
Ball is now one of six players who make up the group of youngest in NBA history to win Rookie of the Year. He joins LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Andrew Wiggins, and Luka Doncic who all won the award at the age of 19. Another outstanding accomplishment in the NBA career for the youngest Ball brother.
- Red Bull Batalla Opens Up Applications For 2024 Season
- Red Bull Spiral Wraps Season 1 With Saba, Mick Jenkins & IDK
- Urban One Honors Attendees Speak On All Things Best In Black #UrbanOneHonors
- Diddy’s Son Quincy Removes Face Tattoo After Online Criticism, Allegedly
- Cam Newton Gets Swung On At His Own Football Camp [Video]
- LeToya Luckett Hosts TV One LIVE From the Red Carpet at 2024 Urban One Honors
- Usher Talks Super Bowl LVIII Halftime Performance, Justin Bieber, Marriage & More!
- Councilman Eric Mays Passes Away 65
- ‘RHOA’ Star Marlo Hampton Is Reportedly Not Returning For Season 16
- Solange Knowles’ Son Daniel “Julez” Smith, Jr. Walks For Versace During Milan Fashion Week
Charlotte Hornets guard LaMelo Ball wins NBA Rookie of the Year award was originally published on wfnz.com
Monica Responds To Accusations Of Getting BBL Surgery After Viral Concert Footage Shows Her Curve
West Charlotte HS Classroom Doors ‘Decorated’ With ‘Colored’ And ‘White’ Entrances For Black History Month
NoDa Brewing Company Introduces Thrilling Brand Update
The Most Googled Relationship Questions
Porsha Williams Divorcing Simon Guobadia After 15-Month Marriage
Black Celebrity Birthdays: February
Iredell County Collision Claims Woman Life
Kanye West Says “Of Course” He’s Supporting Donald Trump For 2024